HuntBuds Connecting Hunters, Fishermen and Outdoor Enthusiasts.

Does anyone use Tro kar hooks they look like they wounld be really sharp.The thing is they cost twice as much as the Mustads that I use.I would like to see a real review on them not one from someone that is getting paid to use them.
sloppy joe said...

Does anyone use Tro kar hooks they look like they wounld be really sharp.The thing is they cost twice as much as the Mustads that I use.I would like to see a real review on them not one from someone that is getting paid to use them.

I'll have to do some research. Thanks for the tip. I usually just sharpen what ever hook is in the box before I tie it on. Bill may want to tie one on since he never sharpens his hooks. I usually do it for him (without his knowledge) since I get half of what he catche$.
I just hate a hook that can't be sharpened without a precision lathe. Trouble with these "surgically sharpened" hooks is that you can't re-sharpen them because of their unique angles. Once they sit in your tackle box for a year, they are no better than the old tru-turn eagle claws. At least you can sharpen the Eagle. Still I am intrigued.
I fish Trokar hooks almost exclusively. I'll give you some pros and cons.

Out of the box they're incredibly sharp! Where I find them the most helpful is early spring. Female bass with bump their mouths against stumps this time of year. I don't know the reason behind it, maybe to shift the eggs around? Anyways their mouths get super hard. The Trokar will increase your hook ups dramatically this time of year.

They're incredibly strong too! Gamakatsu hooks are bad about breaking, Owners are great but will bend, Mustad... Not sharp. There's a little give and take in each one.

The Trokar flipping hook is amazing!

Cons...
They're expensive, but second to your line they're one of the most important links between you and the fish.

The tip will roll on you if you hang a stump or rock. It's easy enough to knock that off with a
file.

All in all, the pros to me outweight the cons.

Where they really come into play is on a Carolina Rig, long cast, or as stated earlier, during early spring.
"There is nothing more deadly than one well aimed shot." Carlos Norman Hathcock II GYSGT USMC (RET) Hoyt Carbon Element 70# 30" Draw Axel Single Pin, QAD Ultra Rest, Black Eagle Carnivor Customs, Slick Trick 100gr Mags Browning A Bolt .280 Swarovski Z3, Lew's Reels, TFO Rods, 6th Sense Custom Lures, Stanley Jigs, Hale Lure Co, Costa Del Mar Sunglasses
jus an ol Eagle Claw boy here
It's all about how much skin you're willing to risk in the game
Hankus said...

jus an ol Eagle Claw boy here

Eagle Claw makes Trokar hooks :thumbup:

I started typing, "to the guy that doesn't tournament fish they're not worth the money."

Then I thought into that a little more. When you really put some thought into it, it probably bennifits the weekend angler MORE than the 5 days a week on the water guys like myself.

If you buy 1 pack of hooks and you're a weekend warrior, you'll most likely have those 5 hooks for a really long time. I'll go through 5 hooks in single trip this time of year fishing river ledges and brush piles.

If it wasn't for the fact that on the waters I fish, a fish of a lifetime could bite on any cast, I'd probably make the switch back to Owners hooks during practice and Trokars during tournaments.
"There is nothing more deadly than one well aimed shot." Carlos Norman Hathcock II GYSGT USMC (RET) Hoyt Carbon Element 70# 30" Draw Axel Single Pin, QAD Ultra Rest, Black Eagle Carnivor Customs, Slick Trick 100gr Mags Browning A Bolt .280 Swarovski Z3, Lew's Reels, TFO Rods, 6th Sense Custom Lures, Stanley Jigs, Hale Lure Co, Costa Del Mar Sunglasses
I love the trokars, and when budget permits that's all I fish with. It is literally all I use during tournaments. When fishing for fun anything will do. I've fished very few tournaments this year as I kinda got burnt out last year.
Chest Thumper Outdoors