HuntBuds Connecting Hunters, Fishermen and Outdoor Enthusiasts.

Picked up a set of the most comfortable and rugged boots I have ever put on my feet. They are US Marine Corp issue. USMC RAT (Rugged All Terrain) GTX (GoreTex) combat boots. Now you can trust me on this my feet have a mile or 2 in combat boots and as an Infantry soldier boots are important to say the very least. But the Army has been jerking around trying to develop a combat boot since Vietnam and (believe it or not) just announced a couple of weeks ago that they have finally settled on a boot, after only 50 years! But the USMC worked with a old company called Danner and built a boot and its one hellva boot! The best I have ever worn. So I order up a pair after meeting a USMC Gunnery Sgt the other day and noticing his boots. He made a believer out of me.
You can get them w/wo GoreTx, insulated or not and Steel Toe or reinforced toe. They are great for wearing hunting or just out working out on your farm or ranch or just a hike in the woods. And they come in women's sizes. They also have the USMC emblem on the outer heel and this Army soldier is proud to wear them! Battle tested, battle proven by our fine Marines all over the world!

http://www.danner.com/m…/military/usmc-rat-8-mojave-gtx.html

Forgot to add, that I found these on ebay for $69 bucks. There are a lot of them for sale on ebay, my guess is by soldiers who were issued and never wore them, every size you can imagine.
Attachments
IMG_0626.JPG (1.82 Mb, 24 views)
Yep. Got two pairs. One is about gone, just getting the other pair broke in. They are tough, but for my foot, the old Altama fits the best. The RATs fit either too loose in the heel or too tight in the ball... had to wear wool socks with the first pair after I had them 4 weeks. I need to try some different insoles, maybe...
  and  like this.
hhhuntitall said...

Yep. Got two pairs. One is about gone, just getting the other pair broke in. They are tough, but for my foot, the old Altama fits the best. The RATs fit either too loose in the heel or too tight in the ball... had to wear wool socks with the first pair after I had them 4 weeks. I need to try some different insoles, maybe...

Since I bought them off e bay I was worried about the fit, but figured that for $69 I could sell or trade. A quick check of my combat and cowboy boots found sizes from 10.5 to 12 and everything in between. So I took a gamble on the size 12 being offered. When I tried them on they fit perfect...interesting, in that my other pair of Danner's, aka the 'Ft Lewis' boot, which I still have from my days at Ft Lewis, is a 10.5.

My foot is very narrow in the heel. When I was young my foot was so narrow it was next to impossible to find shoes that fit. My parents took me to a doc and he said not to worry the foot will spread out as I grew. It did, but is still on the narrow side of Regular medium size. I was at the VA the other day seeing a doc and he joked that my feet were in great shape so I must not have been an Infantry soldier. I said on the contrary I was Infantry, in fact 'straight leg'.

The USMC has a winner in this one IMO. The Army, LOL who knows, only 50 years of looking at boots and they just make a decision, we will see how that goes! I was the Army Boot Officer for a couple of years, I was on the Test Officer, from '80-'82. I had 2 huge filling cabinets of files. Over that time I never attended a meeting and other than my foncon to intro myself there was never a discussion on boots again.

You do know that Danner will rebuild the boot, go to their website and its in the menu.
Man, I very seldom have a pair last more than a year. I keep three pairs in rotation most of the time, throwing my cowboy boots in there sometimes... the Altama have been the best for the money. Bates are good, Danners are good, too. I had a pair of Danners in rotation, and they held up just as good as the Altamas, but I don't have as easy an access to them. The Bates soles wear down pretty quick, and start to get so stiff they hurt my feet after 8-10hrs... the newer Bates and certain pairs of Altamas have that Durashock insole, but stand really high... they seem thick and heavy, and make my ankles sore on rough ground, I think because they are loose in the heel. The RATs were a good combination, just my heel slid around on rough ground.... I'm eyeballing another pair of Danners to ad this summer.... two pairs in rotation are starting to get thin on the bottom...
  and  like this.