HuntBuds Connecting Hunters, Fishermen and Outdoor Enthusiasts.

no discount for group, but wouldn't mind a few others join me instead of going solo for a high quality, high opportunity, and high price Wink free range Texas Elk hunt. head guide did say if I get other people we could take a cow too.

anyone want to hunt Longfellow Ranch in Texas for free range Elk October 5-8th? I'm probably going, but would be more fun with a couple people I know. this is nice ranch and the Elk are unbelievable. I hunted a lesser outfit and ranch next door to it last year and we saw 300+ bulls every morning and evening. I had a 360+ 7x6 at 90 yards, but that story is why I don't like that outfit anymore. Longfellow is 350,000 acres and there are many big bulls. Last year they averaged 350 with range 330-360. so it is a nice ranch to chill for a few days and go after a big bull. I have hunted Elk in Colorado and Idaho over 25 days and never saw a bull over 200. I saw 6 different 300+ bulls in 3 days of hunting this area. Not cheap, but the opportunity and quality is worth it.

http://www.longfellowranch.com

Is this archery hunt? Guided? What is pricing. I didn't see any specific details on the site with my first glance.
Jim Ward

Archery - Mathews Z-7 bow and Martin Rytera Alien X, Carbon Express , Octane Stabilizer, Crimson Talon , Spott Hogg sight & IQ Retina Lock Ultra Lite.

BSD Bow String Depot Pro Staff
Hips Archery Target Pro Staff
glteach said...

Is this archery hunt? Guided? What is pricing. I didn't see any specific details on the site with my first glance.

Fully outfitted hunt nice lodge, meals, and guided. They might be coming to calls then, but more likely "Texas" hunting drIving 350k acres of back roads, then spot & stalk style. You could do archery if they're calling, but as archery hunter myself I would say this should only be done rifle.

$8,500 up to 374 and $10,750 375+.
   likes this.
Rob328gts said...
Fully outfitted hunt nice lodge, meals, and guided. They might be coming to calls then, but more likely "Texas" hunting drIving 350k acres of back roads, then spot & stalk style. You could do archery if they're calling, but as archery hunter myself I would say this should only be done rifle. $8,500 up to 374 and $10,750 375+.

Would love to but it's a little outa my price range lol. I do wish ya luck though and expect to see some pics. I am starting to save up for a Wyoming trip in the near future though.
Elite E32
Excalibur Matrix 380
Remington 700 7mag
Remington 710 .243
T/C Omega .50
Mossberg 835

Hunt Hard, Fish Long, Thank the Lord!
   likes this.
kellyguinn said...

Would love to but it's a little outa my price range lol. I do wish ya luck though and expect to see some pics. I am starting to save up for a Wyoming trip in the near future though.

It has taken me 5 years to come around to this type of hunt. I have spent 25 days of hard hunting in Colorado and Idaho with only 180" 4x4 to show for it. That's actually about the average for you typical Rocky Mountain $2-3k 5-day archery hunts. I never even saw anything about 200". That is certainly the way to go cheap and work your ass off not successful most years to just get a legal bull. That Elk in my avatar was that 180" and I'm so proud of it. However, I can't stomach that type of hunting until I get a true mature bull. I will then go back to the "mountain" hunting just for the experience and challenge of it.

So the math didn't work out for me until this year, after 5 years 5 hunts about $20k in total expenses this hunt is cheap. Wink. Most Indian hunts with this type of quality and opportunity are $15-20k+.
I like the short drive compared to Northern Colorado or Wyoming but I have already committed to go to WY next year with Crusher and Crittergetter and hopefully a WI bear hunt the following year. Thanks for the offer and sharing this with your fellow HuntBuds but I will have to pass for now. If unsuccessful in WY I might consider it in a few years. For those that think it is too expensive all I can say is I am 0 for 6 in sticking a mature bull with my bow. I have 30+ total days running all over the Colorado mountains and if were to add up the costs for each trip I have well over 20k invested in an empty freezer and blank spot on my wall. This TX hunt sounds expensive but I could easily spend another 6 years and another 20k and still not have an opportunity at a good bull so all things considered it is really not that bad. The shorter drive also equates to more hunting time and the lower elevations would be easier on my old worn out knees and lungs. I wish you good luck Rob and look forward to seeing the pics and hearing the stories.
"If I am not hunting or fishing I am probably somewhere talking about hunting or fishing"
   likes this.