HuntBuds Connecting Hunters, Fishermen and Outdoor Enthusiasts.

Finally figured out where to post the pic of the lucky day Howatt all in one place.
For those who haven't already seen the pic, I'll recap my lucky day.
On my way home one late morning, I stopped out at the mail boxes, and ran into ole Kim who lived across the road from the mail boxes. After talking a while I asked how the kid was doing with the recurve. The summer before a teenaged boy was shooting at some bales they had stacked up.

Kim says That was my nephew, and he gave it up and is chasing girls now. He had no where to shoot at home, got discouraged and quit. Do you know anything about recurves? he asks.

A bit. What do you want to know?

Hold on, he says as he takes off across the road. So I'm thinking he has the kids bow, a metal riser take down from what I saw that one day. About a minute later here he comes, carrying a recurve that looks better n better the closer he gets. He hand me a 58" 50# Curved stripe Damon Howatt Hi Speed, minus the string.

Beautiful bow, I say as I'm checking the limbs, and over all condition, "Limbs are straight, and we can probably get a string for in Eugene, You can be shooting it again with in a week."

"Oh, no, if you want it you can have it" He had found it when he work for a house rental company doing a vacated inspection. It was standing in the corner of a closet with out a string.

As soon as I got home I grabbed my camera, bottle of windex and roll of paper towels. All the dust removed I take these pics and the I posted the pics of the Leatherwall. By the next day I knew that it was called a Curved Stripe and they were only made 3 years, 1st number of the serial is the year and an accepted offer of a new string. He had just made the string the week before for his exact same bow
Here's a quote from Larry Hatfield from another thread on when they built Hi-Speeds:
" We built the hispeed from 1958 until 1975. in 1958 they were made with walnut and had clear glass. from 1960-65 choice of wood and glass color from 1967-1975 they were bubinga and rosewood, (east indian), and black glass only."

Here's the label.

The rosewood overlays on the limb tips and hook of the limbs.

Both sides of the Bubinga riser and Rosewood accent stripe.

And a closer look at the rest. I think this is an original Howatt rest. I like it, love the way the bow shoots.

The bow is so sweet, it should have a girls name. In one of Larry Hatfield's posts he mentioned the the woman who painted the stats on the bow was named Pearl, and since the bow such a jewel I call her Pearl
"skin that one, and I'll get ya another"
That is one very beautiful bow.
Thank you, I think so as well Smile and it shoots as good as it looks! Worth 10 times what I paid for it! Lol21
The Hi Speed joins these two sticks. My 62" 45# Ben Pearson, only dating information is the AMO spec on the left of the riser. AMO began 1968. I've been Smile through the Ben Pearson catalogs that were on line and can not find a description of this wood. BP used black glass on all hunting weight bows. Incredible figure in the sight window laminate, possible tigerwood and the light color riser changes colors from one side to the other Also finely figured. All that bling wood in an entry level bow. I also think that it had a refinish, the glass has a satin finish, and the logo on the inside of the lower limb has been hand painted.

I bought the Darton Fury on the right in 1972. 60" 48#s. Always been a sweet shooter. I've never been an off the shelf guy. I group better with an elevated rest. Micarta & Walnut and a golden wood accent stripe. She's quick, especially with carbon arrows.

likes this.