HuntBuds Connecting Hunters, Fishermen and Outdoor Enthusiasts.

This knife making started about a year ago when these shed horns are about to run me out of the house . I thought I'll make some knifes . I wish someone would have slapped me . I checked and asked some questions and research . I needed a 2x72 bench grinder . 2000.00 dollars for a good quality one ,I put things on hold and started studying these grinders . IF u know me well I'm hard headed and don't spend frivolous money on the most part .. I set out to make one from scratch I figure I could do it for around 300.00 .. See photos .

I began my journey making knifes the first one was a stainless with hand made blade and gaurd and bone . It was coming out great then I broke it at the connection point at gaurd and bone intersection . 40 hours down the tube .. Next knife was made out of s USA file, lots of work here . Gota heat it up to soften then you work it then heat it back up .quinch , then temper ,then spend a few days fine tuning ...this one came out great . Since the start I have come a long way and have sped up . Only advise I can give is go buy them at the store ,find another use for sheds.

Bench grinder
More photos

You do good work Mr. Crusher! Folks the photos don't do them justice, these are some killer knives. The belt grinder alone is a work of art and it amazes me that you could build it from scratch just by seeing the manufactured ones in Youtube videos. I look forward to gutting the first deer this season with a Crusher Custom knife!
"If I am not hunting or fishing I am probably somewhere talking about hunting or fishing"
You selling knives Crusher? Good work... Looks Good
Could we see that pig sticker sword being used Please
BIG L<br />ZOMAC PRO STAFF<br />Mathews Mission Ballistic<br />100 G grim reapers
Lol that there is a shark skinner got a little long I need to get it down to 8 to 10 inches
  and  like this.
Those are some beautiful knives. I have bought a hand made knife to leave each of my grandchildren as well as a rifle for each. None that I have are any better than what I saw of yours. You should be very proud! When you get ready to sell some, let me know!
Those are awesome looking. I have been looking to buy at least one antler knife for a gift(s). If you are making them for sale - let me know - seriously.
Jim Ward

Archery - Mathews Z-7 bow and Martin Rytera Alien X, Carbon Express , Octane Stabilizer, Crimson Talon , Spott Hogg sight & IQ Retina Lock Ultra Lite.

BSD Bow String Depot Pro Staff
Hips Archery Target Pro Staff
  and  like this.
I've made a few out of plow sweeps, but I suck at handle work.... The Nichol's brand of sweeps I use are high carbon and chrome content. I don't know the complete chemical composition, but they're pretty hard and hold an edge well.... Nothing like what you've got made there, though.
Wow. Very nice. I want one!
"Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." Dr Seuss - Mathews DXT, Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak, NAP Killzone & Executioner broadheads, NAP stabilizer, QAD Ultrarest, True Fire release.
JeffStevens said...

Wow. Very nice. I want one!

Get in line Jeff! The first one already has my name on it.
"If I am not hunting or fishing I am probably somewhere talking about hunting or fishing"
Ok Bill. I guess mine will have to be serial #00002. I Suppose I can live with that!
"Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." Dr Seuss - Mathews DXT, Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak, NAP Killzone & Executioner broadheads, NAP stabilizer, QAD Ultrarest, True Fire release.
great work Crusher, very nice knifes
The equip looks great and the knives do too crusher, you're a fartsmeller,,,,, I mean a smart feller
Patience and Perseverance are qualities that are best practiced rather than preached
I may be a Fart smeller also LOL

Finished this one it turned out pretty nice .
Crusher those things are beautiful. You keep showing everyone and you're about to get too busy to do anything else
Patience and Perseverance are qualities that are best practiced rather than preached
Nice work my friend!
Awesome. That is a work of art. True craftsmanship.
Jim Ward

Archery - Mathews Z-7 bow and Martin Rytera Alien X, Carbon Express , Octane Stabilizer, Crimson Talon , Spott Hogg sight & IQ Retina Lock Ultra Lite.

Looks like someone could quit their day job! That is some beautiful work Crusher! I will still get with you on the fillet knife.
  and  like this.
Very nice... Those handles turned out good....
Very nice brother!!! I likes em. Might need one or two of them bad boys!
   likes this.
thanks folks
Dang son, what a beautiful end product!
  and  like this.

Well did some file work on this boy .small gut hook
Just - AWESOME. Great looking. I am truly in awe of your skill and artistry.
Jim Ward

Love the Damascus work... You are getting better each time!!! Keep it up!!
Got a few more completed Handcrafted copper bolsters on the one

If there is any knife makers out there please let us here your opinions. I started making knifes a while back and I have been stabilizing the bone scales prior to installing .it does appear to help the hardness and polishing characteristics of the bone . Is it worth it to do . On the long term I'm not sure.
I started using copper for custom bolsters and I guess I'm addicted . I can't stop using the copper . It's the hottest metal to sand and work ,my finger prints are gone . Here's two knifes using Axis very hard horn .

CRUSHER said...

I started using copper for custom bolsters and I guess I'm addicted . I can't stop using the copper . It's the hottest metal to sand and work ,my finger prints are gone . Here's two knifes using Axis very hard horn .

Crusher, I don't think I've ever witnessed someone come so far so quickly as you have. You have a great eye for what someone would love to have in a custom knife..
Beautiful work Crusher!
You are truly an artist with your skills. Beautiful work.
Jim Ward

As the proud owner of a Crusher knife let me say that not only are they beautiful pieces of art but they function as well as any knife I have used. I gutted a doe with this knife a few weeks ago and it was extremely sharp and well balanced. This is my first Damascus knife but Crusher tells me it should hold it's edge longer than a typical knife. It was as sharp after the doe as before I started so I need to shoot a few more and see how many I can do before I need to sharpen it. Thanks again Crusher!!!
Guys the first sizable gut hook just out of the tempering process should be a week or so to have a finished knife . This is all we use in the field 95% of the time . Plus a caper

yes please!!!! lol
Hey Corey,
are you putting that bevel on them? like off the "bench grinder" getting a hollow grind from the flat to the edge?? phenomenal man !! out stan ding !!
would you post a video on the set up of the sander? or lemme know where you got that Idea from!! i really need one!
that bevel from the flat to the edge is where I'm strugglin to keep uniform on both sides
I have never been relieved of my duty to defend the constitution of these United States of America, with up to and including my life
Burt Gummer is my Hero
"Enjoy getting old, not all of us get to do it." Eric (Pard) Wroe, 5/73-12/13
Mac a guy can google Bench grinder 2x72 and learn a few things . Flat grind is all im doing now i have a 9inch wheel that fits on my machine that will do the hollow grind .. From my short experience the flat grind is much better .. I use blocks with bevels cut for guides if i stop the bevel short from the top . The others I free hand which in that i take the grind all the way from cut edge to spine of the knife . I start out with a good bevel and bring it all together . Patience is the thing here .. I have learned by trial and error. I also have figured out being right hand dominant a guy needs to move his body not his arms and hands when switching from one side to the other . This eliminates the less dominant side issues with an even grind I will try to get some pictures or video up for ya. Hope this helps

Got the gut hook completed ought to be a great knife heavy with the copper
It is truly beautiful my friend! How bad do the copper bolsters tarnish?
these look really great, ya sell em or just a hobby?
Well I have made over 50 knifes to date. I decided to make one for myself and one that I can use in the field. I had a Rams horn and decided to use it. Tricky to get the curl flat but I did and it came out great. Rams horn is a good look and hard. I used Alabama Damascus and cut two times as big as the normal gut hook pattern. Can't wait to use and gut some animals. I
pics????
Jeff there right above
Beautiful. Couldn't see the pics on the phone app.