HuntBuds Connecting Hunters, Fishermen and Outdoor Enthusiasts.

SINCE I WAS LARGE ENOUGH TO CARRY A 12 GA THATS ALL I HAVE BEEN HUNTING WITH. I HAVE HAD SEVERAL 10GA THAT I KEPT IN THE BLIND FOR GEESE BUT HAVE SINCE SOLD ALL OF THOSE BOAT ANCHERS THEY CALL GUNS AND HAVE STRICTLY HUNTED WATERFOWL WITH A 12 GA. WELL THIS YEAR ABOUT MIDSEASON I PICKED UP A 20GA FOR MY WIFE SINCE SHE WANTED TO START DUCK HUNTING. WELL NOT TO LONG AFTER FIRST LIGHT I HAD SEVERAL TEAL IN HAND AND SHE HAD YET TO HIT A BIRD. NATURALLY SHE BLAMED IT ON THE GUN AND WANTED TO SHOOT MY 12 GA. SO I RELUCTENTLY TOLD HER I WOULD SWITCH. TOLD HER TO HOLD ON TO MY BABY WHEN SHE PULLED THE TRIGGER. SO MY LAST 3 BIRDS WERE SHOT WITH THE 20GA AND TO MY SURPRISE I WAS FOLDING THEM JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN I WAS WITH THE 12 GA. SO THAT GOT ME TO THINKING ABOUT SWITCHING TO A 20 GA FOR NEXT SEASON. DONT GET ME WRONG IM NOT GOING TO SELL MY 12GA HAVE TO KEEP THAT FOR GEESE. PUT I WAS REALLY IMPRESSED WITH THE PERFORMANCE OF THE 20 GA ON DUCKS.
Live from GOD'S country.
I have 3 12s and 2 20s. For doves and quail my SxS 20 gets the call. For turkeys. my 3" 12 get the work. I haven't hunted ducks or geese in years, but would use the 12 for geese for sure.
  and  like this.
I am not the "gun" expert to give you advice. I will share my personal choices. I have both a 12 and 20 ga. I have yet to duck hunt (my neighbor keeps promising to take me but until it happens it is just a promise). Here in Illinois we can only use shotgun (w/ slug) or muzzle loader for deer. I usually use the 12 gauge unless I opt for a chair blind (Which is rare) - then I use the 20 ga. It is a little shorter and easier to use from the little blind. Although, since getting and shooting my muzzle loader, I love the feel of it and may use it more than the 12ga if and when I gun hunt for deer. I have used the 20 for dove hunting and it works just fine. I use the 12 for turkey hunting. But again - being fully honest - I use my bow 98% of my hunting.

I do know that my neighbor recommended using a 12 ga for the duck hunting we will do. Not sure if it is do to where or what but that was his recommendation.
Jim Ward

Archery - Mathews Z-7 bow and Martin Rytera Alien X, Carbon Express , Octane Stabilizer, Crimson Talon , Spott Hogg sight & IQ Retina Lock Ultra Lite.

BSD Bow String Depot Pro Staff
Hips Archery Target Pro Staff
   likes this.