HuntBuds Connecting Hunters, Fishermen and Outdoor Enthusiasts.

When you place a trail cam, what is your reasoning of placing it where you did?

Placing trail cams and your thought process of where you are going to put it.

Bow String Depot We Build Strings and Slings!! Check us out @ bowstringdepot.com
   likes this.
I determine where I think the deer will be, trail, water hole, mineral site, scrape, feeder, etc. I have not had great success on trails. I always get photos but they are general few and brief and rarely big bucks. I think the big boys cruise through the brush and they slickheads use the trails. I like to put a camera somewhere will they will stop and pose. Since baiting is legal where I hunt I dump a little corn in front of the camera not really to bring them in cuz I have already determined that, I just want them to stop for a minute so I can snap a few quick photos. OK I got the spot, now the camera location. I try to place the camera about 12-15' from where I think they will be standing. I also try to face the camera South or North to avoid the sun. If I have many choices of acceptable trees to mount the camera I try to consider the background and mount it so I have a better looking photo. I also look for the easiest tree to mount it out as most of our trees are wrapped in thorns, briars and poison ivy so I want to do a little clearing as possible. I mount most of my cams 4'-6' high to shoot over the squirrels, rabbits and coons. I prefer at tree at least 6" in diameter to avoid 1000's of empty photos due to the wind blowing the camera around and setting it off.
"If I am not hunting or fishing I am probably somewhere talking about hunting or fishing"
As far as where I pick to place my camera's, I try to find a spot that the deer want or tend to group up.. a food plot or mineral site is my usual set up and most often I have both together.
For what reason I place them can be as simple as my curious nature but of course I tell everyone I'm actually taking inventory of my deer herd..lol.. I just honestly love seeing what is in our woods and knowing in part about what individual deer are traveling or staying put. I believe it at least gives me more confidence while I'm hunting.
Patience and Perseverance are qualities that are best practiced rather than preached
  and  like this.
Here we can legally bait. I have 5 spin cast corn feeders. I have built brackets with angle iron and electrical beam clamps that bolt to my cameras that I clamp to T posts set at the feeders and my protein feeders. I can drive a T post any where so it is real convenient. I usually set my cameras facing the north like Bill to keep the sun from making the camera go off 20 times a day. the deer on my place don't necessarily use trails. You can find tracks just about anywhere on my place including camp. Because of this, I set the cameras at the feeders only. I have tripods and ground blinds around the feeders that I hunt from. By putting the cameras here it gives me an idea of what is coming to each feeder.
I am not the more "religious" when it comes to trail camera work. I try to place cameras on pinch points with well worn paths. However, I have to be sure not to confuse a "cattle and deer" path with a "deer only path" - otherwise, I get 90% pictures of cows walking by.

I try to set them on openings of draws as these tend to be a confluence of several draws so I have more opportunities to interpret the tendencies for those "last minute" stand moves. I will then place a camera very near the last minute move to confirm my "guestimates" of current travel patterns.

But as I said, I am not the most religious with cameras - however, I will blame my work travel schedule as a huge hindrance on keeping this going.
Jim Ward

Archery - Mathews Z-7 bow and Martin Rytera Alien X, Carbon Express , Octane Stabilizer, Crimson Talon , Spott Hogg sight & IQ Retina Lock Ultra Lite.

BSD Bow String Depot Pro Staff
Hips Archery Target Pro Staff