HuntBuds Connecting Hunters, Fishermen and Outdoor Enthusiasts.

I have never been to Africa and for some reason it has never even made my bucket list. It is only logical that someone who loves to hunt as much as I do then Africa would be a no brainer and should be at the top of my list. My taxidermist has been more than 30 times and every time I set foot in there he tries to get me to book a hunt and go with him. He has 3 buildings filled with beautiful mounts and great stories to go with each one. I am sure I would enjoy the hunting and I would love to see Africa but for some reason I have no desire to go.

What are your thoughts on Africa? Have you been? Where does it rank on your hunting bucket list?
"If I am not hunting or fishing I am probably somewhere talking about hunting or fishing"
   likes this.
Not very high. A very good friend of mine(who has passed) was there twice. He said that you could hunt Africa for half the price of going to Alaska. He said the biggest expense is the mounts. Me personally I'd rather spend the money on Alaska or Canada. Although, at the top of my list is a good black bear rug (taken with my bow of course). There is just too much "at home" that I haven't experienced yet. Besides, with the political climate around the world, I'd just as soon stay home.
You nailed it, those are the same reasons I have. Until I have checked an Alaskan Grizzly, and Yukon Moose, a black bear of any nationality, and the North American Wapiti of my list then Africa will have to wait. I hear the same sales pitch from my taxidermist trying to convince me I can get 5-7 animals for the same price as a guided elk hunt here. I agree with you on the cost of the mounts. I wonder if he would be pushing it so hard if I told him I would go but I had another guy that was going to do all my mounts.
"If I am not hunting or fishing I am probably somewhere talking about hunting or fishing"
From what my friend said, it is very expensive just to get them back across the "pond". Then you have the price of taxidermy of 5 to 7 or more animals, it's almost the price of the whole trip including air fare.

'
   likes this.
I'm with you on your list. The only thing that doesn't turn my crank is the griz. I'd love to get one of the huge blackies that are up around Vancouver Islands that Jim Shockey hunts.
I would love to do some hunting with Mr. Shockey for anything black, brown or horned.
   likes this.
My brother priced a hunt with Mr. Shockey several years ago. To hunt WITH him and not one of his guides was in the neighborhood of 15,000. Too rich for my poor blood.
   likes this.
Yep. My wife tried to surprise me for my 50th birthday last month with a Shockey moose hunt. She got the surprise when she got the numbers. I got some socks and underwear instead.
Hey, at least you didn't have to take out a second or third mortgage!
My wife is an accountant. When I start talking numbers like that, she takes away my toys till regain my senses!
You poor guy, so is mine. How bout we send the bean counters to Africa and me and you will go on a bear hunt?
   likes this.
I wish it were that simple. I could probably get the hunt that I want..I just hate to grovel that much. After all I DO have a little pride!
   likes this.
Bill/Alan,

Africa is not really high on my list either...at least not by myself. I think if a person were to go, it would be best to go with someone else who would appreciate it just as much. There are so many animals in the US and North American that I would like to hunt before I think about an African trip. Don't forget the travel costs. I am not sure what kind pricing you have seen on African trips, they are all in the neighborhood of Jim Shockey hunt prices. And the costs goes up per animal - from the ones I had looked into. Way Way out of my ballpark.

Top 4 bucket list animals for me (with bow hopefully)

Elk
Black Bear
Caribou
Antelope

Moose and Mule Deer also on the list but not top 4.
Jim Ward

Archery - Mathews Z-7 bow and Martin Rytera Alien X, Carbon Express , Octane Stabilizer, Crimson Talon , Spott Hogg sight & IQ Retina Lock Ultra Lite.

BSD Bow String Depot Pro Staff
Hips Archery Target Pro Staff
Not a bad list you have Teach. I am glad to know I am not the only one who likes hunting at home.
   likes this.
I agree with y'all on Africa. I will admit that I do find it more intriguing as I get a little older, but it's not at the top by a long shot. If you haven't been to Alaska, you need to go. You don't even have to leave Anchorage to know you're in a special special place!

My top of the list hunt is a BIG Youkon Moose with my bow but DANG it's expensive! The thing that most people want to go to Aftica for is what I don't care too much about. You always hear, "It's a target rich environment". Now don't get it twisted, I like to shoot as much as the next guy, but the one thing I enjoy more than killing big animals is HUNTING big animals. 10-14 days in Alaska chasing a big bull moose is the closest thing to Heaven I'll ever see on this earth. Recently I've been wanting to get after a big mule deer in a bad way. I inherited my Great Uncle's mounts when he passed. I was 7 years old, so I grew up looking at mullies from 160"- 236" on the wall. They never really did it for me until a few years ago. Now every year I find myself wanting to give that a shot.
"There is nothing more deadly than one well aimed shot." Carlos Norman Hathcock II GYSGT USMC (RET) Hoyt Carbon Element 70# 30" Draw Axel Single Pin, QAD Ultra Rest, Black Eagle Carnivor Customs, Slick Trick 100gr Mags Browning A Bolt .280 Swarovski Z3, Lew's Reels, TFO Rods, 6th Sense Custom Lures, Stanley Jigs, Hale Lure Co, Costa Del Mar Sunglasses
While a Yukon Moose and Pronghorn are probably at the top of my list, I would love to go hunt Africa with a group of friends. I do agree with you guys that I would probably want to get "most" of our North American critters first (black and brown bear, elk, muley, pronghorn, moose, etc) I do have a deep desire to go to the Dark Continent. Probably never happen, but a guy can dream!
"Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." Dr Seuss - Mathews DXT, Carbon Express Maxima Blue Streak, NAP Killzone & Executioner broadheads, NAP stabilizer, QAD Ultrarest, True Fire release.
I thought about Africa when a friend of mine went and came back with some great stories and experience. Another friend of Scott and mine (Jayne ladybowhunteraz) has been several times and has some great mounts. She also got a cape buffalo. Pretty cool. But while it sounds like fun, I too have so many North American animals to hunt that I just don't know that Africa will ever move up on my list.

I want to harvest an elk, caribou, antelope, even moose and black bear. I have harvested turkey, white tail, black tail and hog. It is looking like I will have my "second" chance to try and get a black bear with my bow this year. The last time I went, I didn't see any in shooting hours. I did have one come in right under my stand as dark settled in. I could only see the blob of darker black while I was waiting for my "pick up." I could hear a little huffing but when the guy coming to pick me up approached making lots of noise - I heard the growl and let's just say I was close to needed a change. All of the hair on my body stood on end and got the weak knees. Based on a trail cam we got of him - the guy I was hunting with figured he was in the 400+ pound range. If only he had come in 30-45 minutes earlier. So this time I am hoping to get a "light" opportunity.
Jim Ward

Archery - Mathews Z-7 bow and Martin Rytera Alien X, Carbon Express , Octane Stabilizer, Crimson Talon , Spott Hogg sight & IQ Retina Lock Ultra Lite.

BSD Bow String Depot Pro Staff
Hips Archery Target Pro Staff
No Africa for me, to much to do here. Muley, Antelope, Giant
Canadian Buck. Canada would be the trip of a life time for me
Absolutely beautiful back country
BIG L<br />ZOMAC PRO STAFF<br />Mathews Mission Ballistic<br />100 G grim reapers
I'm out on The Big Africa Hunt . I have plenty animals here in the USA I have not hunted for yet. If I did go I would want the most expensive hunt which would be lion . Just don't see myself paying that kind of cash .
Crusher, I'm with you. There is too much right here that I want to hunt. I have been lucky enough to take 2 pronghorns that make P & Y and one makes B &C. I still haven't taken an elk. I have a black bear at the very top of my wish list. I'd like a good muley buck. And the list goes on. Just so you know, IF I went to Africa, I'd want a greater kudu and cape buffalo. Not happening!
for me I'm not leaving the USA maybe canada
most of Africa is not my style. I wouldn't mind some of the plains game, but not interested in cats, elephants, giraffes, or zebras.

my main problem is most of South Africa and other parts of Africa are high fence. Yes they are HUGE areas under shabby fence, but also much of the game is bred. I know they wouldn't dare let a Lion run year around killing their valuable plains game behind high fence.

also seems to just be a kill fest and since you can't bring the meat home, you have to settle for it being donated to "needy villagers"? 5

I think there are parts of Zimbabwe and other countries can give you a true old school free range safari experience.

Like others have posted I'm focused on North American game and mostly mountain game at that. I do want to get a Red Stag and since I found out most of New Zealand is high fence I've started looking at Argentina.
AlanK said...

I'm with you on your list. The only thing that doesn't turn my crank is the griz. I'd love to get one of the huge blackies that are up around Vancouver Islands that Jim Shockey hunts.

I've been, never had the chance to take one. even a small black bear is intimidating when your gonna throw a stick at it !! I've got a spare room Bill Though an outta state tag is around 700 bones, Heck I'll even pick you up at Sea Tac! C'mon up !!
I have never been relieved of my duty to defend the constitution of these United States of America, with up to and including my life
Burt Gummer is my Hero
"Enjoy getting old, not all of us get to do it." Eric (Pard) Wroe, 5/73-12/13
I think you guys are missing the boat.
Africa is a magical place. True, much of South Africa is now high fenced, but many outfitters run hunts on places that aren't high fenced, as well. And SA isn't the only place to go- lots of great hunting in Namibia and Zimbabwe. As a bowhunter, it really doesn't bother me to hunt a big high fenced ranch. It's plenty fair chase and you can spot/stalk, drive around looking for tracks and go for a walk or sit at a waterhole and view game all day long. It is ridiculously enjoyable.
Some countries have gotten outrageously expensive, but you can still look around at the DSC or SCI shows and find good deals.
I went to SA two summers ago- found a show special with a reputable outfitter- 8 days of hunting inc. daily fees and trophy fees for impala, blue wildabeest and warthog for $1,600. You can't find a management deer hunt in Texas for that! Now, airfare, taxidermy, etc ... cost more than the hunt price, but for the cost of a 150-inch deer hunt in the states, I went to Africa for 10 days and took several great trophies.
There is nothing like sitting around an African campfire with the smell of mopane wood burning while you drink dirt cheap, great red wine. The game viewing alone is worth the cost, plus the people are really wonderful. The only time I ever felt unsafe was in the airport! In my opinion, it should be on the bucket list of every hunter at least once.