HuntBuds Connecting Hunters, Fishermen and Outdoor Enthusiasts.

I never had a hunting dog before so some of this might be wishfull thinking but i wanna pick ya'lls brains anyway.

I am wanting a dog that can retreive and flush birds, track trails, good with kids, and a good companion at home.
He will not be an inside dog but not going to be kenneled either, will be in the yard or loose on 10acres of barbwire fenced ranch.
So will be around kids alot and farm animals(cows and chickens).

If all this is possible what kind of training would it need in the offseasons to keep him trained up?
Family=Life
I don't think you can beat a lab. Of course they retrieve like no other and I have never met a mean lab (my buddy has a certified crazy one but not mean)so they are one of they best dogs I know of around kids and other animals. They can be trained to do almost anything from retrieving, blood tracking, shed finding, an on and on. The key with any dog and any training is to start them young and work them often. You can have the best trained dog in the world but if you never work him and let him use his skills he will get lazy and all that hard work will go to waste.
"If I am not hunting or fishing I am probably somewhere talking about hunting or fishing"
I have had good and bad exp with labs, only ever seen one mean one and that was just to other dogs and people she didnt know. I was initially thinking about trying to find a lab and german shorthaired pointer mix, i like mutts myself i have had alot of health problems with full blooded animals. So is it constant training forever or just until they learn it well and maybe the first coupla years?
Bill Costin said...

I don't think you can beat a lab. Of course they retrieve like no other and I have never met a mean lab (my buddy has a certified crazy one but not mean)so they are one of they best dogs I know of around kids and other animals. They can be trained to do almost anything from retrieving, blood tracking, shed finding, an on and on. The key with any dog and any training is to start them young and work them often. You can have the best trained dog in the world but if you never work him and let him use his skills he will get lazy and all that hard work will go to waste.
Family=Life
Go with a Deutscher Wachtelhund, they are a beautiful dog that can track fur and foul very good. I am going to get one myself and I know people who have had them and swear by them.
The topic is quite old, but in my opinion quite good and worth and be paid a lot more attention, so I will share my experience breeds of dogs that I had.
First place as favorite breed I put German drathaar. I owned such a dog for 10 years and I've enjoyed almost every hunt. Of game to hunt rabbits and retrieving ducks and geese almost icy waters, and it made him no problems. For me this is a universal dog and this breed will always have a special place in my heart.
My second favorite breed is German kurtshaar, I had this dog for five years, but careless hunter killed him during the hunt. For this breed would say almost the same as the front but with light conventions. It's not for hunting waterfowl in the cold weather, because with shorter hair.
Currently English Setter own for about a year, and zhalos can not give full information on what can be expected from this breed. My first impressions are: Highly trained but he wants daily work and a fool with your dog. One of the best breeds are good for growing at home.Retrieve good but not take very densely overgrown areas, and collect pretty thorns but the body, which necessarily require cleaning after hunting.
I wish you success in the selection of hunting assistant to anyone who has decided to take one.